Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:02:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   handle_workitem_freefile bug?

Setting up a new box as a mail server. Installed 3.4-R on it a couple of
days ago. cvsupped to 3.4-S yesterday. Made world and kernel. Stress
tested it and it seems stable. I have soft-updates turned on in the root
fs.
  Was trying to copy it to another machine. Using tar in the root.
However, just before I removed all the work directories from ports to make
the tar file smaller:

/usr/ports # find . -name work > /tmp/z
I checked the file here
/usr/ports # xargs rm -rf < /tmp/z
This reduced the fs from 2.6GB to 800MB
/ # tar cvfl all.tar /
interruped this and changed the flags
/ # tar cvpfl all.tar /

This produced loads of:

handle_workitem_freefile: got error 5 while accessing filesystem

up the console. I interrupted the tar and tried to look at the fs. 'ls'
produced a display which seemed similar to having the -R flag and, but I
was just doing "ls -al". i.e. it recursed dirs, with complaints of I/O
errors on lots of the directories. CTRL-ALT-DEL wouldn't bring the machine
down, so I had to reset it.
  After the boot-up fsck all seemed okay.

Any ideas what that was? Softupdate problems?
Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@ais.salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)