Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:46:23 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Magnus =?iso-8859-1?B?QuRja3N0cvZt?= <b@etek.chalmers.se>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

On Tuesday,  4 February 2003 at 14:02:41 -0500, Larry Sica wrote:

> I've tried not to get drawn into this but..
>
> On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 01:11 PM, Brett Glass wrote:
>
>> At 10:56 AM 2/4/2003, Magnus Bäckström wrote:
>>
>>> "Those most involved" need to be developers; they are the only ones
>>> investing anything in the project
>>
>> Nonsense. System administrators, documentors, and users engaged
>> in advocacy also have large investments and must be represented.
>
> I have to agree here.  A broader representation of the total
> userbase might make for a more even representation.  One that takes
> other factors into account.  To be honest some of the logistics of
> the project have been sorely lacking.
>
> I do not have the expertise to do any hard core programming, does that
> mean i therefore should have no say?  What if i write a number of
> articles, or am really helpful?  Or maintain hundreds of freebsd
> systems?  Does my investment seem less just because I am not a
> committer?

This is a valid viewpoint.  I've been wondering for some time how we
could do this.  You can contribute other things than code to the
source tree, of course, such as documentation.  But I don't see a good
way to include systems administrators (except in exactly that function
within the project, and opportunities there are limited).  We've also
had problems with advocacy: some advocates are somewhat extreme, and
we're concerned they're doing the project more harm than good.  If you
can come up with some good suggestions, we'd like to see them (at the
risk of Yet Another Bike Shed).

Greg