Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:27:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: "nl" command

Scott Gerhardt wrote to parv:

> Nope, not high (wish I was at the time). I did make a typo in my original
> post and piped "ls -al | ln" (should have been nl).
>
> I did not quote the wrong man page though here is the output, just did it
> again:
>
> 1014 scott@blue: /root # man nl
>
> curs_outopts(3X)                                 curs_outopts(3X)
>

> NAME
>        clearok,   idlok,   idcok   immedok,  leaveok,  setscrreg,
>        wsetscrreg, scro
>
> Why do I get this man page for "man nl"???

Hi Scott,

You got the correct manpage... You should have quoted a bit more:

curs_outopts(3X)                                 curs_outopts(3X)

NAME
       clearok,   idlok,   idcok   immedok,  leaveok,  setscrreg,
       wsetscrreg, scrollok, nl, nonl - curses output options
			     ^^

Note that the 'nl' function is included in the manpage for
curs_outopts(3X). All of the functions listed under "NAME" will produce
this manual page.

And, the important point is that nl is a library function, and not a
system command, so if you try to execute it from a command prompt, it will
of course report command not found.

Hope this helps,

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon