Date:      Sat, 01 May 2010 14:04:38 +0300
From:      =?utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNb3JrxatuYXM=?= <hinokind@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   GSoC: Making ports work with clang

Hi,

I'm Andrius Mork=C5=ABnas from Lithuania. My Summer of Code proposal was=
 accepted
this year and be working on my project, which is to make clang and ports=
be friendly with each other.
My main goals are:
* Create an easy way to set ports compiler to either clang or gcc (and n=
o,
   CC=3Dclang is not a good way to do that).
* Write a tool to detect common problems with individual ports not respe=
cting
   environment variables like CC/CXX or doing other horrible things that=
 break
   compilation with clang.
* Make Gnome, KDE, Xorg and other widely used things to work with clang.=

I've been patching ports to work with clang since last October, so I kno=
w my
way around the ports tree by now. What's different in GSoC project, comp=
ared
to what I usually do is that I have specific goals to achieve now, rathe=
than fixing random things when I feel like it.

More information will be available on FreeBSD wiki[1] later (some is alr=
eady
there).

I've seen a lot of people interested in building ports with clang, espec=
ially
now, that rdivacky@ has finally announced ClangBSD testing[2]. However,
ClangBSD and ports compiled with clang are two completely different thin=
gs,
so I don't recommend trying to use clang for ports just yet. I've even p=
osted
a mail to freebsd-current@ recently, asking people not to do it[3].

However I intend to write a howto in FreeBSD wiki sometime soon explaini=
ng
how to build ports with clang more safely, what to expect and what not t=
expect. It will also include some information for those who want to help=
 us
with clang and/or ports, explaining what help we do or don't want. At so=
me
point during summer I'll probably ask people to start testing stuff, and=

report problems, so stay tuned.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or some other feedback, feel fre=
e to
mail me on or off list.

[1] http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2010AndriusMorkunas
[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-April/016648=