Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:53:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      mark.spiegel@lmco.com (Mark Spiegel)
To:        tms2@mail.ptd.net (Thomas M. Sommers)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and"dangers to BSD"]

:
: "G. Adam Stanislav" wrote:
: >
: > I believe, if my information is correct, their greatest advantage was
: > tactical. The British army used the traditional war tactic of having
: > soldiers in a single file and expected their opponents to do the same.
: >
:
: I think this view of the war is partly mythical. While partisan warfare,
: to which your comments apply, did play an important part in the war, the
: decisive battles, such as Saratoga and Yorktown, were entirely
: conventional affairs. The Continentals (that is, Washington's army) wore
: uniforms, and used linear tactics and smoothbore muskets, just as their
: opponents did. The militia, while capable of harassing supply lines and
: attacking isolated outposts, could not have faced a regular force in the
: field.

	Not true.  When the British attempted to split the Colonies in
	two down the Hudson Valley, it was the locals and their rifles
	who defeated Bourgoyne's (sp?) Army, as it tried to move
	from Montreal to British-held NYC.

	This battle was decisive as it convinced the French king to
	back the American revolution.  He had been reluctant to supply
	support because he didn't want the embarrassment of having
	backed a loser.

	Since the Colonies had negligible, if not non-existent,
	weapons manufacturing capabilities, getting French help
	was extremely important.

	Mark