Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:46:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: suggested xorg-compatible video HW for FreeBSD/amd64 ?

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Just a quick reminder as it seems to be forgotten too often...radeonhd
> has not been supported or updated in a long time and is generally a
> bad choice. Modern Radeon (4xxx) is supported much better with the ati
> driver which is still getting some love.
>
> Since Radeon is open-source, you might expect good support, but it
> also depends on kernel mode setting and requires custom KMS DRI code
> in the kernel which I am not sure anyone is working on for FreeBSD.
>
> Maybe when the Intel KMS is completed...

The Foundation has expressed interest in funding someone to work on it.

Spread the word.

Kostik Belousov has said he won't be workin on the radeon driver.
Don't know why.  If anyone can be found to work on it, I'm pretty sure a
bunch of people would be willing to individually contribute additional
funding or hardware.