Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 2015 07:47:43 -0800
From:      Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: push a few config files to dozen or so servers

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 03:07:46PM +0100, Guido Falsi wrote:
> On 02/05/15 13:20, Ronald Klop wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 13:02:34 +0100, Marko Cupa?? <marko.cupac@mimar.rs>

> >> thanks to virtualization, my fleet of FreeBSD hosts have grown to more
> >> than dozen, and it still grows. There are some files that need to be
> >> identical on all of them (aliases, sudoers, root crontab, pkg repo
> >> files etc.).
> >>
> >> I was looking at puppet and cfengine but learning and implementing those
> >> seem like an overkill for my purpose.
> >>
> >> Are there any other elegant solutions which can help me achieve my goal?
> >
> > Cron and rsync.
> > Or create a pkg which you install on all servers.
>
> He could also use an VCS system (subversion, git, fossil, whatever) and
> some scripts.
>
> This adds the advantage of having history.

If it's really limited, you should be able to wrap svn/git
and scp/rsync in python/bash/<tool of your choice> and have
something that works.

> > Just some quick ideas. In the end you just want to use something like
> > puppet. :-)
>
> I Agree, in the end that kind of solution is definitely more robust.

But, agreeing here, as well, there are some real advantages
in ensuring consistency, etc. with something like puppet.

And a basic, minimalist puppet is pretty basic and minimal.
Puppet can get very complex, but that comes from managing
complex environments.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk@byshenk.net  -  Portland, OR USA