Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2012 01:47:26 +0200
From:      George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9 & recompile ports
References:  <CA%2BdUSyrV_j8GtxS4=yN-DsFCprQ7N%2BEmuRoraDwBLZN1EFFR9w@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BdUSyqZVVyVkVWTPJXJe921NcZ3RaEN9QojH55NhRNP8xDinA@mail.gmail.com> <4F10009A.7000307@FreeBSD.org> <4F100D9E.80807@FreeBSD.org> <CA%2BdUSyrFVn0skisgeJ1pYjHN3wCXC2tqDPoMoqWNqkjAk8DVmA@mail.gmail.com> <4F10B1AD.9000400@FreeBSD.org> <4F10B6C9.8010607@FreeBSD.org> <4F1140DD.4040300@infracaninophile.co.uk> <CAN6yY1ugFTbeRr_OopX-XRks8SrpBa%2B=fG7JKuNsh-X-zUBwkg@mail.gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Matthew Seaman <
> m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 13/01/2012 22:57, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> > But if the appropriate misc/compatX port is installed, then those
>> libraries do
>> > actually exist and the system should be fully usable... Modulo the com=
pat
>> > libraries not working with the new kernel as Kostik has pointed out.
>>
>> As soon as you update or install an application after this point, you
>> are likely to end up with an application that tries to dynamically link
>> two different versions of the same shlib, and that is a recipe for
>> tears-before-bedtime.
>>

> I don't recall any "tears", but it does become a real pain. The compat
> ports only work for those who only update when absolutely required. Thank=
> to symbol versioning, most base system libraries don't cause a problem, s=
> the problem is far less likely to bite you than it was in the past, but t=
he
> bottom line is that you should seriously consider updating all ports.
>
> Thanks to Doug Barton's work on portmaster(8), doing so with packages is
> pretty fast and easy. Even doing a full re-build of all ports (over 1000 =
of
> them) on the last system I upgraded to 9.0 =A0updated with no interventio=
> over one night. Use the multiple steps in the big example in the
> portmaster(8) man page for best results and run the re-install step with
> '-D'. The man page also provides a simple way to do the job, but it does
> not assure a completely clean system. I would also consider saving the
> files in /usr/local/etc after all ports have been removed.That can save a
> fair amount of reconfiguration at the slight risk of retaining some old
> cruft.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com

I always find this a good opportunity to upgrade Perl. Given the fact
that upgrading perl and all the ports that depend upon is a pain,
having to rebuild all the ports is always a good excuse to do it.

For the amount of ports installed on a production server combined with
todays horsepower, a full rebuild doesn't take more than a couple of
hours. On a desktop it is a bit more complicated but it is always a
good opportunity to toss some ports that are useless.

--=20
George Kontostanos
Aicom telecoms ltd
http://www.aisecure.net