Date:      Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:31:08 +0200
From:      Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unifying WWW: pkg-descr lines for cpan ports

--2mUf73N0HmzM2Naa

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 06:22:56PM -0400, Bill Fenner wrote:
>=20
> An embarassingly long time ago, the maintainer of search.cpan.org
> let me know that the port survey was hammering on it.  There were
> 3 primary styles of URL being used:
>=20
> 1. http://search.cpan.org/dist/Archive-Tar/
> 2. http://search.cpan.org/dist/Archive-Tar
> 3. http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=3DArchive-Tar
>=20
> These all point to the same page, but #2 and #3 each requires a
> redirect.  (At the time, #3 required 2 redirects because of a bug,
> which was subsequently fixed.)
>=20
> I'd like to unify all these styles into #1.  The shell script at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/fix-search results in the diff
> http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/fix-search.cpan.org.diff .

I like this. Not only is it better for search.cpan, but also gives us
more consistency in the ports pkg-descr. Of course, this will have to
wait until after the slush, but then I'm all for it.

-erwin

--=20
Erwin Lansing

DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were harmed while sending this message.

--2mUf73N0HmzM2Naa

--2mUf73N0HmzM2Naa--