Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:40:30 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        hawkeyd@visi.com
Cc:        security at FreeBSD <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RedHat advisory - RHSA-2002:026-35 zlib double free -- Is this 4.5-R-p1?

From:    Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Subject: the zlib double free bug
To:      security-officer@freebsd.org
Date:    Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:13:57 +0100

As author of our malloc(3) it is my opinion that we are not vulnerable to
this (kind of) bug.

Most mallocs keep their housekeeping data right next to the allocated
range.  This gives rise to all sorts of unpleassant situations if
programs stray outside the dotted line, free(3) things twice or
free(3) modified pointers.

phkmalloc(3) does not store housekeeping next to allocated data,
and in particular it has code that detects and complains about
exactly the kind of double free this advisory talks about:

	critter phk> cat a.c
	main()
	{
		char *p;

		p = malloc(256);
		p = malloc(256);
		free(p);
		free(p);
	}
	critter phk> make a
	cc -O -pipe   a.c  -o a
	a.c: In function `main':
	a.c:7: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
	a.c:8: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
	critter phk> ./a
	a in free(): error: chunk is already free
	Abort (core dumped)
	critter phk>

The malloc flag 'A' determines if the situation is just warned about
or if the program should call abort(3).