Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 1995 20:51:08 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current SOTA in ISDN support?

>>> Joe Greco said:
 > > Greetings all,
 > > 	A quick question for the ISDN-enabled out there.  I'm
 > > currently helping a BBS owner add a BSD box to provide ISPish services
 > > for his users.  He wants to go ISDN, and obviously needs to know
 > > which way to turn when it comes to buying an interface.
 > >
 > > I'm curious to know what people are using - I know Amancio has the Ascend
 > > box, and appears to be very happy with it; I seem to recall someone
 >
 > I don't recall exactly what Amancio has.  I suspect it may be an Ethernet
 > bridge.

Well, I have an ascend pipeline 50 and I am very happy with it since it
works. The bonding part (128kb ) only works with other Ascend routers.
It has snmp so I can query the box :)

The Ascend Pipeline can act as a router or a bridge. I own the single
user model which only allows one mac address to it. So I went out
and bought another ethercard. I have another PC here is not too bad
sharing the ISDN line with my other 486DX266. Basically, Bettina, my
girlfriend likes to surf .  My P66 used to have 16MB but with Bettina
running netscape and image stuff I had to upgrade my system to 32MB.

My solution is not cheap but it works today and is hazzle free.

We should pursue the ISDN connectivity  more actively as is a sure way to hook
users into FreeBSD.

Take for instance my setup:

o	fast net access for netscape

o      hopefully Bettina will finish soon her web page with her selection
	of photocd images from places around the world she has been
	So Web Access or Web Server and yes this is a very fast emerging market.

o	voice communication with vat point to point since the MBONE is
	not quite upto ip multicasting yet due to old routers or tcp/ip routing
	software still being used. And hopefully in the not too distant
	future teleconferencing.

o	ftp access

o 	fast news access

o	net acount for developers and no I am not advertising just a couple
	    of net projects I am working on.

o	answering message machine --- I use vgetty + sendfax to handle
	messages and faxes. Yes this is not related to fast net access
	but is a very nice way to force a box to stay up.

So in summary, we need good  support for ISDN, Web Servers and voice
processing.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio