Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 95 02:19 BRT
From:      Carlos Antonio Ruggiero <TOTO@ifqsc.sc.usp.br>
To:        rodolfo@coe.ufrj.br, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-RELEASE problems ...

Hi Rodolfo,

   it is good to notice that FreeBSD is becoming popular in
Brasil.

Like you, I have a Creative Labs kit (Discovery I think) with
a 4x IDE CDROM. It seems to be working fine though I haven't
had time to test it more extensively. I have connected it
to my primery IDE controller together with a 850M hard disk (master)
I also have a conner 1.2G on the secondary controller. The atapi
floppy recognizes everything just fine. The only problem I had
was that, after installation (from 1.44Mfloppies), the kernel
was the GENERIC one without support for
IDE CDs. I had to recompile the kernel enabling the ATAPI option
and the wcd0 device. It seems ok now.

I might be wrong but I don't believe the CD is recognized if it
is connected directly to the sound blaster board. The reason is
that , by default, the sound blaster controller is configured
as tertiary (0x1e8) which doesn't get probed. Of course,
I had to change the MessDOS configuration of the SBIDE.SYS
driver to something like sbide.sys /P:1f0,14 or something
like that. Windows 95(arghhh) also recognizes the CD driver at
its "new" position.

Hope this helps,

Toto  (toto@ifq.sc.usp.br)
Carlos A Ruggiero