Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 07:18:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Christopher Nielsen <enkhyl@scient.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Port of 'bugs' in ports tree

Poking around in the ports tree this morning, I noticed a port under
ports/security called bugs. It caught my attention because pkg/DESCR says
it's a crypto library. Having never heard of it, I decided to take a look
at it.

After perusing the code and reading through the description of the
algorithm, I feel very strongly that a warning of some kind should be
placed on this piece of software. This is NOT secure in any sense of the
word (except possibly against little sisters/brothers). I can think of at
least one cryptanalysis attack off the top of my head (poor source of
random data), and that's after spending 10 minutes looking at the code and
reading the algorithm.

Comments?

--
Christopher Nielsen