Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 13:51:14 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Matt Dillon" <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        <Bsdguru@aol.com>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: RE: Imagestream WanIC-520 interface cards

This is very true for leaf-node routers as used at customer sites and I've
said the same thing myself on freebsd-questions before.  However, there's
still a market for those "Internet access toasters" that are basically
PC's plus T1 interfaces, for the "set and forget" crowd.

The cost issue, however, not true for BGP routers.  Despite the dot-bombs the
7204/6 and the 3640 (both minimum cost of entry for BGP4 on Cisco) are
both still very expensive even on Ebay.  It's still cheaper to hook a fast
Celery or something like that to an ISP feed.

Furthermore, I feel compelled to point out that the Internet is still getting
bigger and bigger and bigger.  At some point in time even with Cisco's
packing algorithims, the BGP route table plus Cisco IOS will exceed 128MB of
ram.  (both the 7206 and 3640 are limited to this as a maximum)  Long before
that the CPU's used in those Cisco devices will be swamped.  And, I hear your
answer to that, but screw that, why should I have to settle for a half-assed
BGP feed with 3/4's of the routes chopped out of it from my providers?

I've run BGP4 into both 7206's with NPE200's and Pentium 500Mhz systems with
WANic cards, and the PC will converge BGP views faster than the Cisco,
and tolerate route flaps far better, while under routing load.  Cisco has a
lot of exposure here, and their answer to the need for increased routing power
on the Internet has been routers costing in the $100,000 range.  Now, maybe
BEST Internet is now wealthy enough that you can blow that kind of money on
Cisco gear without thinking about it, but a lot of smaller ISP's are not.

If you look at what happened last weekend on Sunday, and the number of people
that screamed about it, it's quite obvious that there are a huge number of
gated and zebra boxes out there handling global routing.  Take off those
Cisco blinders, boy! ;-)