Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 02:45:38 -0500
From:      Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
To:        Matthew Harrell <mharrell@std.saic.com>
Cc:        AIC7xxx List <AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG>, Scsi listbot <scsi@milk.liquidnet.org>
Subject:   Re: Missing devices?

Matthew Harrell wrote:

> Hi,
>         I have a dual Pentium Pro system with two aic7xxx controllers in it -
> one onboard and one in a slot.  I have no idea how far back in versions this
> has happened, but my second cdrom drive does not appear under Linux.  I don't
> get any errors or anything like that and it shows up under the BIOS scan and
> NT.  Any ideas?

Here are some instructions for getting a complete boot log on your machine
that will tell where the problem is coming from.

1.  Go into /usr/src/linux/kernel and edit printk.c.  Find the line that
reads:

#define	LOG_BUF_LEN	8192

and change it to

#define LOG_BUF_LEN	65536

2.  Recompile your kernel.

3.  Reboot your machine.  Boot the machine back up into single user mode by
passing something like the following options to lilo at boot time:

lilo boot: linux aic7xxx=verbose:0x1ff39 S

The important things to note here are that a) the aic7xxx driver needs the
verbose option to be set as above and b) that the machine needs something to
tell it to boot single user, which S does if you use lilo.

4.  From the single user bash prompt, type:

cp /proc/kmsg /tmp/kmsg.out

The important thing to note here is that you must run this cp command
*before* the syslogd and klogd daemons get started.  If you don't then you
will loose the info you are trying to get.

When you've done these 4 steps, you should have a *complete* log of the
device init code in the aic7xxx driver that includes the results of the
driver trying to scan every single SCSI id and that way we should be able to
take that log and find out why your CD-ROM (or CD-R) wasn't detected.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford@dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but