Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 12:24:33 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Stephen Melvin <melvin@zytek.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User space PPP & leased line

>>> We tried using the user mode PPP on our systems for a while, but under
>>> very heavy load after 2-3 minutes the line ALWAYS dropped.  No indication
>>> of what caused it.  We use the identical setup with the kernel PPP (pppd)
>>> and run for days with no line drops.
>>
>>This is most likely the result of dropping LCP echo packets on a busy line.
>>Try adding ..
>>
>> disable lqr
>> deny lqr
>>

>Actually, it may be due to *delayed* rather than *dropped* LCP echo
>packets and in that case, it would be nice to keep lqr enabled since it
>will cause the line to be dropped when there really is nobody on the
>other end

There is no (good) reason to enable echos on a PPP line, particularly when it is
clear that the implementation here is quite intrusive. You certainly don't
want them on
a  leased line (only a knucklehead would enable them on a high speed line as
they use
bandwidth and intrude on the queuing mechanism for no reasonable purpose),
and on dial-up physical signals are adaquate indicators. If the remote
system crashes
(ie does not bring PPP down gracefully), you're not going anywhere
anyway..echos or
not. I'm sure some mathamatition will argue that the bandwidth used in
insignificant.....
but from the sound of this tread I'd say that bandwidth is only 1 issue.

turn them off.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25