Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 19:48:10 -0500
From:      dubois@primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois)
To:        root@beyond.sdi.agate.net (Charlie Root)
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help!

Charlie Root writes:
> Help! When I enter X windows using the /usr/X11F86/X, it brings up a graphics window and a mouse that looks like an X (figures). Now what do I do?? All the TTYS don't come up and I move the mouse around, click, press buttons on the keyboard but nothing happens what do I do??
>
> Help! How do I prevent users (not root) from getting into other directories...
> I make certain directories owned by only root but yet I they can still
> get in and see the files... How can I deny them this access???
>
> Help! In my /etc/group file it goes GROUPNAME:*:GID:users,...
> What does the * stand for???
>
> Please do NOT email back to this address but to Skynet1@Cris.com
>
> Thankyou.

Given the level at which the questions in this and your previous
postings have been, it sounds as though, although you're using an
OS that costs nothing, you would do well to invest in some basic
UNIX books.  Or at least read the manual pages.  Your second question
is a chmod question.  Read the man page.  Your third question is
also in the "it's in the man page" category.

Continue to ask questions, certainly.  But it doesn't seem like you've
expended even the smallest effort to find the answers yourself.  Many
of them are as close as your keyboard.  Try "man man" for starters.

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu