Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:48:30 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVSup vs. firewalls: a solution

Quite a few of you have been unable to use CVSup in the past,
because you are behind a firewall that is too restrictive for it.
If you are in that category, I encourage you to try version 15.1,
which I just released last night.  It supports a new "multiplexed"
mode of operation.  In multiplexed mode, CVSup needs just a single
TCP connection, initiated by the client, to do its work.  If you can
persuade your firewall administrator to let you issue connections to
port 5999 of your favorite CVSup server, you'll be in business.  To
select multiplexed mode, add the option "-P m" to the cvsup command
line.

As its name implies, multiplexed mode works by managing a built-in
packet protocol on top of the single TCP connection.  That enables
the client and server to multiplex multiple logical connections in
parallel through the channel.  Several people have been using it for
a month or so, and it seems to function and perform just fine.

See the announcement in the FreeBSD-announce mailing list, or just
grab it from <ftp://hub.freebsd.org/pub/CVSup/>.