Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 19:03:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svgalib?

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> ... and I'm sure that the XFree86 folks would just love your help in
> doing that in a fashion which works on a reasonable number of the
> operating systems they support. :-)

Read if it works on Linux, they'll bite. ;-)

> Otherwise, the chances of this actually happening are close to nil, I
> suspect.  We've been waiting for a more automatic setup tool for X for
> literally years now, and if any improvements have been done it's been
> primarily to make the manual setup process a bit more palatable, not
> more automatic.  Everyone agrees that it should be done, nobody writes
> the code. :-(

What about SuperProbe? It appears to already do some PCI probing.  Why not
attempt to extend it into some sort of autoconfigurator thingy.  If it's
gpl'd one could hack together some source, otherwise I'm sure it would be
farily easy to grep and sed your way through the output of that to
automagically set everything up.

- alex