Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:23:59 -0500
From:      Damian Gerow <dgerow@afflictions.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Word Processor on AMD64

So, I've been playing with a brand spankin' new AMD64 system, and it's been
pretty fun.  There's a few bugs here and there (-STABLE), but nothing worth
getting excited over.  But I've run into a bit of a snag: I can't seem to
use any word processors on the system.

AbiWord crashes anytime I try to open a file (before the file chooser window
opens).  As much as I loved using TextMaker, they don't have a 64-bit
version (and there's no 32-bit compatibility (?) ).  OpenOffice flat-out
doesn't compile, even after removing the dependancy on java (gcc dependancy,
doesn't build on !i386).  I have yet to try using -2.0-devel, but it seems
like it'd work.

Are there any good[1] word processors that are currently available for use
on AMD64 systems?

[1] By 'good' I mean stable (not a development branch), and able to
read/write MS Word format.  It would be nice if it could do OO.org as well,
as that's what all of my current docs are in.