Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:48:21 -0400
From:      phazer@ns.sympatico.ca (Christian  Taylor)
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Serial console from other machines

Hi everyone,

There may be an answer to my question somewhere, but I haven't been able to
find it in the archives or the handbook or FAQ anywhere... anyway... I have
a server running FreeBSD, and two other headless machines (one is an old Mac
running NetBSD/mac68k and the other is a Quake server running FreeBSD).
Since I don't have monitors for these machines, I'd like to set up serial
consoles on them and run them to the FreeBSD server.  But... I don't really
want to have to login to use them.

What I'd like, is to add two more virtual consoles to my kernel, and have
the serial consoles of the other two machines show up there (ie. so I could
use say Alt-F5 and Alt-F6 to access their consoles).  It would act similar
to a keyboard/monitor multiplexer.  Is there a way I can set up my /etc/ttys
file to do this?  Basically, just redirect all input/output on a given
virtual console to/from a given serial port.

Has anyone done this, or have any ideas how I could go about setting it up?
I hope it's clear what I'm trying to do...

Thanks in advance!

 -Christian

--
Christian Taylor