Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:27:27 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Steve Coles" <scoles@tripos.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with 3COM 3C509

In message <011201c0ed99$745d1390$9e9814ac@wolf.tripos.com>, "Steve
Coles" writ
es:
> FWIW:
>
> My experience with these cards under FreeBSD has been considerably more
> favourable than under MS operating systems.
>
> Most problems I have seen seem to result from BIOS:NIC interaction rather
> than the FreeBSD driver. I have these NICs working in PnP and wired-down
> mode under 4.3 - however, I have had less problems using IRQ10 as on my
> cheap PCChips MOBOs there seem to be uncooperative isa sound devices
> silently grabbing IRQ 5.
>
> Steve

I've found these cards (driver) hanging under high network transmit
load under FreeBSD.  The workaround was to ifconfig ep0 down; ifconfig
ep0 up.  I finally got fed up with 3COM cards and replaced my 3C509's
and my 3C905's (for an entirely different reason) with NE2000 cards and
NE2000 PCI clones.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC