Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 03:23:41 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD administration

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 09:48:44PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard woke me up to tell me:
> > So, the first step is to write scripts/programs to create/edit the
> > various config files: pppconfig, maybe some nice wrappers around pw,
> > syslogconf, even a profileconf and cshconf, heck, let's complicate things
> > more and make a rc.confconf.  Just find every config file that people
>
> Eeek.  I think this might have been a transitional approach of value
> some 4-5 years ago, but nowadays we have namespace pollution and the
> fact that front-ending things in this fashion is something which
> proved its limitations and went out of fashion almost a decade ago.
> If we're going to do something now, let's stick with 90's techniques
> at least. :-)

Well, if namespace pollution is the problem, then write the scripts as an
addon package, and when we integrate them, just put them together into
one big program:
# sysconfig -t {ppp|uucp|network|syslog|etc} --other_options

I like the 3 layer approach, because it caters to 3 groups of people:
1) config file: know what you're doing, just want to do it
2) script: know what you're doing, don't know the format
3) cutesy: don't [yet] know what you're doing.

The hope is thus that you still have files to edit directly if you like
doing things that way (me! me!), you have a nice frontend if you're not
sure what you're doing, and you have a script in the middle.  It's easy
to tell someone a command line to a script to solve a problem; it's a lot
harder to guide them through a GUI or to tell them what to edit in the
config file.

This approach has just been waiting for a quiet, rainy night.  Are you
saying you wouldn't use it if I wrote it?  ;)

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |