Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2007 10:08:13 +0200
From:      Fabien THOMAS <fabien.thomas@netasq.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: new version of polling for FreeBSD 6.x

Le 8 sept. 07 =E0 01:05, Andre Oppermann a =E9crit :

> Mike Tancsa wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:12:06 +0200, in sentex.lists.freebsd.net you
>> wrote:
>>> After many years of good services we will stop using FreeBSD 4.x :)
>>> During my performance regression tests under FreeBSD 6.2 i've =20
>>> found  that polling has lower performance than interrupt.
>>> To solve that issue i've rewritten the core of polling to be more =20=

>>> SMP  ready.
>> Hi,
>> 	This is really interesting work!  Reading the pdf file, it
>> seems forwarding performance on 6 and 7 is still much lower than
>> RELENG_4 ?  is that correct ?
>
> Haven't tested RELENG_4 performance in a controlled environment and
> thus can't answer the question directly.  However using fastforward
> on 6 and 7 is key to good performance.  Without it you're stuck at
> some 150-200kpps, perhaps 300kpps.  With it you get to 500-800kpps.

Using net.isr.direct is the key success and can get much better =20
forwarding rate (intermediate queue kill the performance).
i aggree than using fastforwarding gets another big step because =20
there is a lot less code than on the IP stack:

FreeBSD 6.2 using fastforward on 64bytes packets (L3 Mb/s):

pollng 1CPU: 		156
pollng 2CPU:		123
intr:					144
pollng 1CPU fastfwd: 	221