Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:36:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca (Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group), dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump(8) Insecurity/Misconfiguration

<<On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:15:30 -0400 (EDT), "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com> said:

> I'm no lawyer, but it seems like using SSH for helping with dumps
> would fall well within this license since backing up files does not
> really generate much revenue for us.

> Is there something in the licese I've missed? You all have me nervous
> now.

You missed the part about:

	The RSA algorithm and even the concept of public key
	encryption are claimed to be patented in the United States.
	These patents may interfere with your right to use this
	software.

The ``public key'' and Diffie-Hellman patents have now expired, but
the RSA patent does not expire until next year.  Therefore, RSAREF's
is the license to which you must adhere.  From a quick read-through of
this, you may still be in the clear (but ask your lawyers first).  You
also should compile SSH with IDEA encryption disabled, as it is also
patented.

Disclaimer: although I work for the owner (assignee) of the RSA
patent, I don't speak for them, particularly in this arena.

-GAWollman