Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 23:28:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com, rnordier@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, rivers@dignus.com
Subject:   Re: i386/10433

> I'm not so sure, Robert. The way he described, I think his
> work-around actually means he skips loader, and *that*, not the
> changed irqs, is what let him boots.
>
> Thomas, if you just enter "0:wd(0,a)/kernel", without configuring
> anything, does it work?
>
> If, instead, you enter "0:wd(0,a)/boot/loader", does it crashes
> instantly, or does it show any messages first?

 Oh - you're right... the way I worded it is a little misleading...

 But - to clarify - I've built and installed a new kernel that
doesn't require any -c "twiddling" All I was doing was disabling
ex0 (because the probe apparently locked up the machine) and moving
the port and irq for ed0.

 Now, I have a kernel installed which requires no -c changes.  So,
I'm not doing any changes...

 The situation is that when I boot from the hard drive; it crashes
immediately - no messages at all.

 If I boot from the (mfs) floppy with

	0:wd(0,a)/kernel

 it boots fine.