Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 02:06:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        adam@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   PATCH_PRFX in bsd.port.mk

I was looking into bsd.port.mk with the intention of adding
subdirectory support to /usr/ports/distfiles and ran into your commit
(revision 1.155) that introduces a new variable PATCH_PRFX.

As far as I can tell, I couldn't really understand what this commit,
which was done without consulting anyone (again, as far as I could
tell), and I still can't understand it today.

And according to the new and trusty xargs and grep, only net/dgd uses
this variable, which further intrigues the wondering mind why it had
to be done in the main .mk file.

Can you please explain me what it intends to do?

Thanks
Satoshi