Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:59:14 -0300
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/41258: converters/recode needs new port revision

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 10:21:45PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> >
> > Is this fixed?
>
> There is disagreement among the ports committers whether such library
> updates should really cause revision bumps in all depending ports.
> (There is also the problem of direct dependencies that are only
> transitively registered.)
>
> In this case, ade chose not to bump the dependent ports.
>
> Either way, we should do all or none.

	Well, my personal perception of this is that one should
use portupgrade to make sure that the dependencies are dealt
accordingly.

$ cd /var/db/pkg
$ portupgrade -u library_port*
$ portupgrade -fru library_port* -x library_port*

	However, make sure you understand what this is doing
before using it: man portupgrade

	IMHO, PORTREVISION bumps should be used for library updates
ONLY when there is some weird interaction that portupgrade won't
be able to handle. Example? Recent qt3 update to 3.0.5, kdebase3
and kdelibs3. portupgrade triggered compilation of kdebase3 but
kdelibs3 should be built 1st, we need to either change something
in the dependency list or do version bumps in that situation. Later
was preferred for a quick solution, the former is being pursued.
However, as you can see, this is not our standard practice.

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer