Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:44:26 -0800
From:      Steven Schoch <schoch-freebsd.org@starnet.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   gmirror on disks of different size

I have two disks:  da0 is 18GB, da1 is 35MB.

I want to mirror /var and /usr, with /tmp and swap not mirrored, and /
either mirrored or simply keep a duplicate on the second disk since it
rarely changes.

I have been using gvinum, but it seems that's not supported in FreeBSD
6.0, so I'd like to switch to something more reliable like gmirror.

My current gvinum setup is as follows:

drive a device /dev/da0s1d
drive b device /dev/da1s1g
volume var
  plex org concat
    sd length 3g drive a
  plex org concat
    sd length 3g drive b
volume usr
  plex org concat
    sd length 12g drive a
  plex org concat
    sd length 12g drive b

da0s1d and da1s1g are the same size.  This leaves unused space on da1,
on which I have da1s1e (/tmp) and da1s1f (/scratch).

da0s1a and da1s1a are both the same size and have / on both.
da0s1b and da1s1b are both swap partitions.

In the event of a failure of da1, I can simply boot from da0s1a, and
continue where I left off (with the loss of /scratch and /tmp - no big
deal).  A failure of da0 will only be noticed by gvinum (although the
loss of the swap partition da0s1b may require a reboot.)

So how do I run this setup using gmirror?  All the documentation I
have read shows giving full disks of identical size.

--
Steve