Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:41:55 -0500
From:      Jim Carroll <jim@carroll.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        alk@pobox.com
Subject:   Re: wd0s1e hard errors

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Tony Kimball wrote:

> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 10:03:30 -0600 (CST)
> From: Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
> To: tlambert@primenet.com
> Cc: hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: wd0s1e hard errors
>
> Quoth Terry Lambert on Thu, 5 February:
> : >
> : > Should bad144 be retired?
> :
> : Why, have you come up with a new "media perfection layer" which
> : sits in Julian's new slice code under devfs to replace it so you
> : can still use WD1007 ESDI controllers, MFM, RLL, and other drives
> : that don't support automatic bad sector forwarding?
>
> No, but rather because (or so I hypothesize) these devices reside
> overwhelmingly in systems which will never be upgraded to 3.x, and
> because there is benefit to be gained from desupport, as recent
> traffic regarding biosboot indicates.

 Since the topic of bad144 has come up 8-)

 I am not clear on how to create a file system that is "prepared" for use
 with bad144.  From reading the docs, it appears we are suppose to reserve
 space on the disk when the file system is created.  Never having seen a
 disk setup for bad144, I was wondering if someone could point me to docs or
 examples of how to do this

 Thanks

---
Jim C., President       | C A R R O L L - N E T, Inc.
201-488-1332            | New Jersey's Premier Internet Service Provider
www.carroll.com         |