Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:35:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Adam Dace <awd@kiwi.pyro.net>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supported Socket 7 Motherboard UDMA Chipsets ?

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, rick hamell wrote:

> > Basically, I'm about to go out and buy a motherboard to create a server
> > with.  I know I'll be using a UDMA disk and was wondering:
>
> 	Umm... if you're going to make a server with any kind of speed,
> you REALLY should look at SCSI drives not IDE. You're looking at about
> 10-15MB/Sec sustained vesus 30-50 at least in SCSI.

And about -twice- the cost.  Unfortunately I'm financing this server
out-of-pocket and as such I think $180 for 10GB of disk is a steal!

I'm aware of UDMA's limitations, and assuming my website gets -that- much
traffic that it's pushing mysql and UDMA to the brink, I'll upgrade then.

> > b) What, if any, Socket 7 motherboards contain UDMA chipsets that are
> > supported by FreeBSD?
>
> 	FreeBSD dosen't really care what chipset you have, not like
> Windows does. I'm using a Soltek MBs with the VIA Chipset with no
> problems. Others are using the ASUS MB model you mentioned that same way.

Uhm...I'd have to disagree, considering the reason I'm asking this
question is because FreeBSD couldn't cope with the Promise UDMA add-on
card I purchased for my home machine!

Basically, I don't want the -same- experience(FreeBSD detected, but
couldn't use the Promise controller...I now understand why, just
saying) when I go to fire up my Asus P5A with the only disk attached being
a UDMA disk using the onboard UDMA controller.  If so, I could be forced
to fire up *shudder* Linux on the server, just for its UDMA chipset
support...Yeck!

Is anyone here successfully using an Asus P5A motherboard with a UDMA(NOT
generic EIDE!) disk under FreeBSD?  Testimonials are welcome.  :)

Thanks Rick for your input, I do appreciate it and hope your advice -is-
correct.  The only reason I'm still asking is, well, if your theory was
correcy my Promise UDMA controller wouldn've worked...and it didn't.

Regards,
Adam W. Dace