Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 1995 06:31:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        phil@zipmail.co.uk, hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Help, my sanity is gradually slipping awaaaayyy. was Re: Problem With Fujitsu SCSI Drive (Messages and Test Results)]

> Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
>
> Check your cables and termination!
> It's possible you have one of the over-enthusiastic 1542's; also bring all
> of the jumper-selectable timings back to the slowest possible settings.

The over-enthusiastic 1542's were early 1542Cs.  I think they
slowed down the REQ/ACK edges.  They claim they are within spec
and with proper impedance cables you won't have problems even
with one of these aggressive boards.  Cable issues, though, will
typically lead to parity problems, hung SCSI busses, complaints
of unexpected bus phases etc. and not
reproducible hardware failures on one of the targets.

> > >sd0(aha0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc: 44,a2, FAILURE
> > >sd0(aha0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc: 44,a2, Retries = x
> > >sd0(aha0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE info: 2d18 asc 15,1 Mechanical
> > >positioning error sks(80,f)
> > >sd0(aha0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE info: 1d70 asc 15,1 Mechanical
> > >positioning error sks(80,f)
> > >vm_page : pager input (probably hardware) error, PID 11 failure
>
> If you get this consistently, I would still be suspicious of the drive.
> If it _is_ a translation error, there's a bug in the drive firmware if
> it's accepting a request to process a block outside the size of the drive 8)

Can you boot FreeBSD without the SCSI drive and then exercise the
SCSI system through the raw device?  That should make things a lot
clearer if it still fails.  Try various block sizes up to 64k.

(...)

--

Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936