Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:24:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Limits of TCP in FreeBSD kernel?

Hi All:)

I'm looking at building an eight or twelve port fast ethernet router, and
I got to wondering how well a FreeBSD box could handle that much traffic.

Assume, for the moment, that hardware is not an issue.  Assume that I have
a gigahertz processor, 4 way interleaved memory, 4 separate fast/wide PCI
busses. (Thanks to the guys on -hardware for helping me locate it)

I tried ping -f localhost on an 800 MHz athlon, and netstat -w 1 -I lo0
indicated about 80,000 pps.  The system was 100% busy doing this, about
85% system usage.  I'm thinking this is probably spent largely switching
in and out of kernel mode to a) have ping send the packet and b) respond
to it.  If this is correct, the number of packets it could handle while
staying within kernel mode would be considerably larger.  Or I could be
sniffing glue and the cost of copying packets in and out would exceed that
of context switching.

How many packets per second could I expect to get under ideal
circumstances?

Thanks in advance:)

--- David