Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:44:06 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
To:        rufas@globalnet.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backwards compatibility

-On [19991220 23:35], rufas@globalnet.co.uk (rufas@globalnet.co.uk) wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I understand from your literature that freebsd will run binaries
>compiled on bsdi or linux 'out of the box'. Can I assume that it is
>also backward compatble? I wanted to comile modules on freebsd that
>would run on bsdi (and possibly linux) in addition to freebsd.

No.

Those two are not mutually exchangeable.

Your best bet is to use source code which is as portable as possible.
But you are doomed to find an emulator for BSDi or Linux which runs
FreeBSD binaries.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      bART Internet Services /