Date:      Fri, 06 Jan 2012 17:05:58 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making use of set_rcvar.

On 01/06/2012 06:13, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> Any objections?
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/set_rcvar.patch
>
> This patch only changes scripts where set_rcvar can be used with no
> arguments.

Please don't do this.

Jilles already pointed out the important reason, it adds pointless
forks. I suggested a long time ago that we remove set_rcvar altogether
but I got a lot of resistance to it, and never pursued it. Perhaps it's
time to revisit that.

In regards to your concern about not having to type the name of the
script when copying to create a new one, you can't really be serious
about that? If so, let me introduce you to this revolutionary thing
called "search and replace."

If you really need to make this simpler for copy/paste purposes in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html
I recommend using:

rcvar=${name}_enable

The microsecond it takes to dereference that is an acceptable cost to
making the copy/paste issue more palatable. This is particularly
important in the ports area since there is so much copy/paste that goes
on in that sphere.

Doug

--

	You can observe a lot just by watching.	-- Yogi Berra