Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:41:29 -0600
From:      "Gurpratap Virdi" <gvirdi@gvirdi.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fw: Debugging kernel crashes

Hi,

I made some modifications to the FreeBSD kernel which causes it to crash.
I was trying to determine the line number and file of the code that causes
the crash using the instructions given at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html

I have the following questions related to the above instructions though.
I understand we can use dumpon(8) to tell the kernel to dump the core file
to a swap partition.  If our system is only configured with one swap
partition, can we still point the kernel to this partition?  I mean would
the core file get overwritten when the system reboots and uses the space as
swap again. Now, supposedly the kernel is able to write the core file to the
swap partition and the system reboots without overwriting the core file, how
do we access the core file?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Regards,
Virdi