Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 11:23:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   The mysterious NFS server hang is back...

...better yet, it obviously never went away.  The kernel is from a
couple of days back, after the latest NFS VM fixes.

Background: my old 386sx/16, 6 MB RAM, serving as an NFS server which
is only used as sort of an ``external hard disk'' to cvs checkout/
compile something on it.

Every now and then, after one or two hours of work, the system hangs.
It still responds to a ping (unless i try to rlogin onto it), if i go
to the console and hit enter (on a previously logged-in session),
nothing happens, no new shell prompt at all.

All i can do is breaking into DDB.  _curproc is always the pagedemon
then.  The scheduler seems to work, at least, the ps picture slightly
modifies between different calls to the debugger.  Sometimes one of
the processes is in "vmwait" sleep, but not always.  pagedemon itself
has flags "00204", and sometimes sleeps on a "pgwait" (sp?) event.

The disk is obviously disfunctional.  When i try to reboot via boot(0),
it hangs after saying "Syncing disks...".  I have to call diediedie().

I'm now suspecting the old AHA-1540A that is in the box.  The system
worked up until 2.0R (or slightly later) however.

Any clues?
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/