Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:08:37 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Mike Dungan <mpd@dns2.ccwebhost.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: resolving problems.

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 09:24:07PM -0500, Mike Dungan wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I am setting up a majordomo server, using FreeBSD 3.0-R, and while I am
| able to connect to the internet, I am not able to resolve hostnames in
| most cases. nslookup and dnsquery work fine, but other programs like ping
| or traceroute will fail the host lookup. My /etc/resolv.conf is a copy of
| a known good file, so I don't see that as the problem. This is a clean
| 3.0-R install.

It's hard to tell what the problem is without your resolv.conf file.  A
copy of /etc/host.conf would be of great assistance too ;)

Oh, and if that's not a big problem to you, please send the exact
incantations of commands that have failed you (i.e. traceroute, ping)
and their successful counterparts (i.e. nslookup).

Regards,

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]