Date:      Sun, 06 Oct 1996 11:02:12 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@axp5.physik.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tyan tomcat II & amd k 5

Hi,

> just two questions - it would be nice if someone could send me a quick
> response because i eventually plan to buy such thing tomorrow:
>
> * will FreeBSD/smp run on a tyan tomcat II mainboard (is someone running it on
>   it) ?

I have had 2 reports of it running FreeBSD SMP.  Be sure to get a newer version
with the "cache fix".  (I have no idea other than earlier boards had something
wrong with the cache section).  What is known about hardware is summerised
here:

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/hardware.html

> * are the amd k 5 cpu's capable of doing smp (especially FreeBSD) - in other
>   words is someone running a dual pentium board or so with two (or more
>   ... :-) of them successfully ?
no, the CPUs HAVE to be intel.  This is because intel patented the APIC core
and thus it doesn't exist in non-intel chips.  cyrix and amd are
formulating a competing standard called "OpenPic", but no one makes boards
yet, I don't even think silicon is yet available.

you will find links to docs for this and other concepts on the web page:

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD