Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 22:12:54 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using NCR810 with 2.0.5.R

On Nov 21, 19:32, Wilko Bulte wrote:
} Subject: using NCR810 with 2.0.5.R
} Hi
}
} When testing a NCR810 card I got cheaply (~ $20) using 205R I noticed
} some strangeness when I tried disklabel on a virgin disk. Quite a
} lot of messages from the ncr driver about some assert/assumption
} failing and then a sort of scsi bus lockup.

What drive brand/model was that ?

This happens when using the Quantum Grand-Prix
with the NCR driver in 2.0.5R.

I'd really like to know, whether another drive
fails in the same way ...

} When I used the system's onboard 810 I had a similar experience so
} it's probably not hardware. BTW Machine is a Digital Celebris P90,
} 8Mb.

No, it's the result of a SCSI message reject,
which is not correctly dealt with by the driver.

} General question: I plan to put this 810 in my to-be-bought Pentium.
} Is 205R generally stable with a 810 or do I need 2.1R ?

2.1R should have this fixed. You'll only need
to boot the boot floppy, since the assertion
failure is at probe time ...

You ought to be able to integrate the latest
NCR driver into 2.0.5, but you'll need the new
generic SCSI code (/sys/scsi/*), too.

I could send you 2.1R on tape, if this will
help your decision to do the upgrade now :)

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160