Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:48:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound frustration.

Hi guys,
	I have a PC164LX, 533MHz 21164A and 1G RAM. I'm planning on using
the machine for a workstation and sound would be nice. I've been fighting
with this machine sound-wise for about three days now, so I decided to ask
for help.
	In the machine I have a 3DFx VoodooIII/2000, a DEC 21140 NIC
(eventually to be replaced by an Intel Pro/100 if the problems with fxp on
Alpha have been resolved) and a Symbios/LSI SYM22910 dual-channel, U2W
SCSI card (which appears to be bootable, according to SRM). I have the
Symbios card in the bottom (first 64-bit PCI slot), the VoodooIII in the
bottom PCI slot and the DEC NIC in the top PCI slot (closest to the CPU).
	If I put any sound card on the 32-bit bus, I have serious problems
with the IDE drives in the machine. The problems eventually cause the
machine to panic when it tries to detect the drives and eventually times
out.
	I've tried four different sound cards: a Creative CT4810, which
shows up as a CT5880 to FreeBSD, two ES1370 variants (both of which detect
as Creative "formerly Ensoniq" cards) and one Diamond-branded Aureal
Vortex card that the machine won't boot with.
	I've been testing the sound cards in the top 64-bit PCI slot.
	What sound cards work with this setup? What am I doing wrong? I
can provide you with any information about the machine you request.
	Eventually I'm going to be moving to an all-SCSI setup; will that
eliminate the "conflicts" the sound cards are having with the IDE
controller/drives?
	Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh