Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 1997 11:23:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A quick note to those without DNS resolvable mail hosts.

On Fri, Sep 05, 1997 at 06:37:40PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> In order to combat the absolute flood of spam which has been coming
> into my mailbox lately, I've gone to more aggressive sendmail filtering

> If you're sending mail from a machine with no valid DNS entry then I
> have another one word answer for you: Don't.  By doing so, you're only
> doing the spiritual equivalent of giving yourself an AOL.COM address
> and lumping yourself in with a group of people you probably really
> don't want to be lumped in with.  Relay your mail to a "smart host" if
> you're at some company with a lot of bogusly named machines or
> otherwise mask the bogus names behind some mail agent with a more
> legitimate presence on the net if you want to see your mail continue
> to get to folks like myself or, soon, the entire FreeBSD project.

I can't make up my mind yet whether this isn't overkill, but probably
I don't get the level of spam you do.  I do see one big problem,
though: FreeBSD-questions.  A lot of the people out there either are
complete newcomers to FreeBSD, or they lack the experience and
understanding to comply with the new requirements.  A lot of them are
AOL.  By implementing these measures, you may not kill -questions, but
you'd certainly significantly reduce (maybe by up to half) the volume,
and you would do even more harm to people who are interested and are
just looking in.

I've taken a quite look at http://tech.gulf.net/spam/, and note that
they have a list of blacklisted IP addresses as well.  Wouldn't that
be an alternative to domain names?

Greg