Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 16:12:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Mendoza <simon_v_mendoza@yahoo.com>
To:        fewtch@serv.net
Cc:        Marcel Mason {Personal} <marcel@nunanet.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How important is "the OS?"

---Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net> wrote:

> On 26-Jun-98 arthur wrote:
>
> >   Yes it is scary, and Tim, I feel you could have safely gotten away
> > without using "ficticious" in your above statement, but I'm sure you
> > were just playing it safe.
>
> Not really.  There really is no such thing as an "average" anything.
 "The
> average computer user" is a stereotype, plain and simple, and human
beings are
> too complex to fit perfectly into stereotypes (at least 99.9% are).

You contradict yourself here Tim, that is why "standards" are so hard
to convey, in fact take a look a Latin, is dead because it regulated
itself to exhaustion. Even you didn't stated that MS was a monopoly
and also is true that the computer world is not the only world we live
in, it is certainly gaining control over our human lives, you obtain
goods out of numbers of credits in a plastic card, stored in a
computer somwhere, you know whether is right or wrong to go outside
your house by means of information obtained through numbers from a
computer, you get your income out of information in a computer and
this gives you an idea of how we are surrounded by this computer
world. This is possible thanks to standards, there's no question about
it but to think of it its also a way for  humans to copy the power of
nature.
  When someone goes to by a computer, we can not speculate their
motives for doing so. But one thing we can say is that MS has a lot of
investments due to its success and it is reinvesting its gaining not
just to capitalize itself, but to produce more software to earn  even
more money. Have you seen the word "quality" around?, that is a
concern, if we are to state that all users want MS in their computer
boxes.

> Just to point out, opinions are never wrong or right, simply
opinions.
> Everyone has them, and everyone has a right to them, even if they
disagree with
> 99% of everyone else's opinion.  Defend your opinions to the death -
it's your
> &deity-given right to have them!

Here I agree 100%