Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 2004 00:16:04 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Wesley Shields <wxs@csh.rit.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does bsd.port.mk override make's search for Makefiles...?

--t5C3/nrmPumNj5sH

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:17:27PM -0400, Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 02:14:50PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>=20
> > As per the subject, why are these set in bsd.port.mk?
> >=20
> > MAKE_FLAGS?=3D    -f
> > MAKEFILE?=3D      Makefile
> >=20
> > I was just trying to port something that had a "makefile" rather than a=
=20
> > "Makefile", and was utterly baffled for a moment as to why make couldn'=
t=20
> > find this.
> >=20
> > --=20
> > -Chuck
>=20
> Those are set because they are the defaults (almost all software uses
> Makefile instead of makefile) but if you come across one that doesn't
> just set this in your Makefile...

That's the long-accepted solution, but it doesn't really answer
his question.  I thought about it and realized I had no idea of
any make programs for which those defaults were necessary.
However, sometimes ports DO need to use a nonstandard makefile
name that is NOT searched by at least bmake and gmake.

Perhaps the best thing to do might be to replace the b.p.m code:

=2Eif defined(MAKE_FILE)
MAKE_FLAGS?=3D	-f ${MAKE_FILE}
=2Eendif

(Note this affects PR #30331[1], which I was working on some time
ago and really need to finish.)

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/30331

Regards,
--=20