Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 12:19:11 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fascinating SAMBA-PDC problem

Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am experimenting with my small home network to find out how to
> set up my Samba server as primary domain controller (PDC) for my
> Win2kPro system.
>
> Later - in real life - the PDC should be able to manage about 800
> user accounts for 30 or 40 NT4 and Win2k machines.
>
> But back to my home problem:
> I was able to give a machine account to my Win2k computer,
> integrate it into my domain and create a domain-admin called
> root, which is identical to my server's root.
> root can log in and out, his profile is downloaded and uploaded
> to the server.
> Then I set up user accounts (with /stand/sysinstall and
> smbpasswd).
> When I try to log into these accounts from Win2k they seem to be
> authenticated, but after some seconds I receive an error, saying
> that the profile couldn't be downloaded and that the access is
> denied.
>
> Any ideas what could be done?

There is a solution for this problem which is detailed described in samba
documentation and has to do with w2ksp2 and access control list.
Please do a "make patch" in /usr/ports/net/samba and search for some
documentation 'bout w2k, updates and so on ...

> Thanks,
>
> Uli.

L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W
L     i   W   W W   W   i  nnn    gggg    LiWing IT-Services
L     i    W W   W W    i  n  n  g   g
LLLL  i     W     W     i  n  n  g   g    Friesenstraße 2
                                  gggg    06112 Halle
                                 g   g
Tel.:  +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 91    ggg     e-Mail: <rehsack@liwing.de>
Fax:   +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 92            http://www.liwing.de/