Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:14:15 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PHP, pear, session problems on FreeBSD 6.2

--------------enigAA592940D53BC84235F0B8E1

Andrei Iarus wrote:
> After noticing that I get an php error (an Segmentation fault error), I=
 reinstalled my php port. Than I got some errors related to the preg_matc=
h function =3D> I reinstalled all php extensions (with portupgrade -rf ph=
p-5.2.1_3), including pcre. After this, my apache server didn't start ("a=
pachectl start" didn't give me any errors, but after switching to the deb=
ug mode from the httpd.conf file, all I got was something like "[Mon Apr =
 9 23:34:15 2007] [info] mod_unique_id: using ip addr 10.0.0.1"). Then I =
discovered that it was because the php5-session extension (after commenti=
ng the line in the extensions.ini). Then I noticed that listing the insta=
lled pear/pecl packages gave me a lot of php errors (some errors in Comma=
nd.php). Trying to install the pear package using the ports, it would sto=
p with stop with an "*** Signal 11

This may or may not help you: PHP is very (should probably say=20
"extremely") sensitive to the order its extensions are loaded. Due to=20
the way portupgrade works, the order of extensions is not kept during=20
upgrades (and is for-all-intents-and-purposes randomized). Thus, once=20
perfectly working server may be unusuable after a portupgrade run.

The solution: find the order of extensions that work for you=20
(extensions.ini), and save it somewhere so you can restore it after=20
portupgrade.

You should search the archives and the web for more information - it's a =

common problem.