Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2017 12:35:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Restoring sc console look and feel with vt

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017, Ian Smith wrote:

[gop]

> Warren, are there any docs on this at all, even if only commit messages?
> and does this code imply that it's only useful for EFI boot?

I don't think so.  At one point, I was trying to write some.  It would
also be useful to know where this could be set permanently.  Someone
claimed this could be set in a config file, probably loader.conf, but I
tested it without success.

> Poly, as someone else with 'senior' eyesight and a long memory, I feel
> your pain.  I've been working in (lots of) 120 x 50 konsoles in old KDE
> on 14" LCD for years, but that's only easy on good days now, and I keep
> a magnifying glass handy - but that uses up one hand :)
>
> I wonder if a big LCD screen might fare better than a big CRT with this?

I don't see how there would be a difference, unless maybe it is limited
to what the monitor supports and reports in the EDID data, and the CRT
monitor has a lower supported maximum resolution.

On systems where I never plan to use X, I use hw.vga.textmode=1.

It's been a while since I investigated this, so I have probably
forgotten important details.