Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:45:24 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Duraid <latif2221@home.com>
Cc:        Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: web site: ms vs freebsd

Duraid wrote:

> Lynx... hmm... that's what freebsd is all about.
> isn't it a downside too not taking advantage of new features... there is
> always a compromise
>
> and also how many users use lynx now a days.. really how many?

You have to think when they use lynx. No one in their right mind will
use x-windows on a busy server, which is needed for one of gui
browsers, but they can lynx and not interfere.

You also might time how long it takes for a MS web page to come up and
then measure how long it takes for www.freebsd.org. People researching
a problem on a production server don't want to see fluffy stuff but
want to get to something they think is important in a hurry.

Kent

> Duraid
>
> Alex Charalabidis wrote:

> > >       Microsoft's web site use to gak on Internet Explorer... That
> > > paticular problem has been fixed. But try looking at it with Lynx. :)
> > >
> > We have enough real ammuntion for MS-bashing without being unreasonable.
> > Apart from the typical widespread omission of ALT tags, Microsoft's
> > website has always been a damn sight more navigable with Lynx than many
> > others. In fact, the difference between MS and FreeBSD's web sites is
> > not all that great when viewed under Lynx.
> >
> > -ac
> >
> > --

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA