Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 07:50:01 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Subject:   Re: Bus resets.  Grrrr.

As Greg Lehey wrote:

> This is the third time in a row that I haven't been able to complete
> a backup because of "recoverable" SCSI errors.

What makes you think these are `recoverable'?

Be reminded that this is the typical failure picture one can see from
a bad SCSI chain.

I'm also seeing it occasionally on our new Seagate/Conner DAT drive at
work, where even the older ahc driver used to work with the previous
HP DAT (that is dead now).  I'm not fully sure yet, but i tend to
blame the Conner drive there.

> If I understand this correctly, this means that the abort SCB wasn't
> received either, so the driver does a bus reset:

Which is typical for a SCSI chain where ``Nichts geht mehr''.

> Aug 17 10:27:32 freebie /kernel: sd1: UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
> Aug 17 10:27:32 freebie /kernel: sd1:  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred

That's the consequence from the bus reset.  As you wrote, no harm done
for the disks.  The unit attention is typically caught by the first
(out of 4) retries.

> Is anybody doing anything about this?

You, checking your termination and term power first?

--
cheers, J"org