Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2012 21:13:08 +0300
From:      Efstratios Karatzas <gpf.kira@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        gleb@freebsd.org, kib@freebsd.org
Subject:   NTFS GSoC Project Idea

Greetings,

I am a FreeBSD GSoC 2010 student, looking to participate in this years
GSoC. The project that I wish to work on is the FreeBSD NTFS driver.

I 've already discussed my project idea with Attilio@ who suggested that I
forward my proposal to the hackers mailing list in order to get more
feedback and see if there's anyone interested in mentoring a NTFS project.

The current draft of the technical part of my proposal(pdf & plain text)
can be found here:

http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~std06101/ntfs/ntfs_proposal.tar

The project idea focuses on mp-safing the NTFS driver as well as adding
extra write support. I've tried to merge the two conflicting NTFS project
ideas in the ideas wiki page, into one. One of them suggesting that work
should be done on the current driver (mp-safe it etc) and the other one
suggesting that we port Apple's NTFS driver from scratch. The concept is
that we keep most of our vnode/vfs code (i.e. ntfs_vfsops.c, ntfs_vnops.c)
and rework existing infrastructure as needed as well as implement new
features using Apple's driver as a guide. This way, we avoid the major
changes in Apple's VFS (is there any documentation to be found?) and port
code that won't break current functionality.

I tried to keep this e-mail brief so If you wish to know more, please refer
to the proposal.

Thank you

--

Efstratios "GPF" Karatzas